Author Topic: PVC Ferris Wheel  (Read 3596 times)

Offline flaloop

• Curriculum Advisor
  • Junior
  • I may grow old, but I refuse to grow up!
    • Loopy Christmas
    • Email
PVC Ferris Wheel
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:27:15 AM »
I finally started my PVC Ferris Wheel project.  The pic is for the first phase, where I cut all of the PVC and did a dry fit (nothing glued yet).  It spins great even without the PVC glue.   :)

Phase 2 is to actually glue it together except:
1)  The cross bars to tie the two sides together which use Spears Tees to snap it together and take it apart for storage,
2)  The uprights from the bottom frame that support the weight of the ferris wheel will be a dry fit for storage and all weight is down, so no stress on these.

Phase 3 will be to paint it and add baskets for my riders.
Phase 4 will be to add a motor to it.
Phase 5 (probably next year) will be to add rope lights to the ferris wheel using Toymaker's method for getting power to the turning ferris wheel.

I'll post updates later, but I have to go out of town later today on business and will be gone all week, so no more progress until next weekend.   :(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:28:06 AM by flaloop »
Glen

www.loopychristmas.com

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Carrie

• Guidance Counselor
  • Senior
  • I like wood too!
    • Email
Re: PVC Ferris Wheel
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:06:54 PM »
Glen, I hope you will take progress photos and post as you go along. I'm interested to see how you do this.  :)

Offline Jacob C.

• Jerk
  • Sophomore
    • http://www.indychristmas.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »
Glen,

That's really cool.  I like the idea a lot, will be interested to see how your power ring system turns out!

Jacob

Offline flaloop

• Curriculum Advisor
  • Junior
    • Loopy Christmas
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »
Carrie, I plan on taking plenty of photos and putting together a how-to as well with a parts/cut list.
Glen

www.loopychristmas.com

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Carrie

• Guidance Counselor
  • Senior
  • I like wood too!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »
Great! I just now read your how-to on your Mega tree design. Very nice, I'm tempted!

Offline flaloop

• Curriculum Advisor
  • Junior
    • Loopy Christmas
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:24:58 PM »
Great! I just now read your how-to on your Mega tree design. Very nice, I'm tempted!

Carrie, it's really not that hard (I'm sure it's easier than some of the BM repairs you've done).  I've had many people across the country PM me that they were building it or needed clarification.  If you decide to build it and have any questions, you know you can always ask me, I'd be happy to help you out.   :)
Glen

www.loopychristmas.com

Offline flaloop

• Curriculum Advisor
  • Junior
    • Loopy Christmas
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:03:24 PM »
I'm back in town and taken the next stop on the PVC Ferris Wheel.  It's all glued together now and I've added the baskets for the riders.  I still need to trim the baskets down, paint it and add the motor.  The support frame needs to have a little bit more stability for side to side, a strong wind will probably give me some problems.  I still need to add some passengers for the ferris wheel, about 6 inches in height.  Anyone have any ideas for the passengers?  I haven't been able to find anything yet.

Glen

www.loopychristmas.com

Offline razlfratz

• Freshman
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
When I built this yo-yo ride I just used Christmas themed stuffed animals.

Offline flaloop

• Curriculum Advisor
  • Junior
    • Loopy Christmas
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
Chuck,

I like your yo-yo ride.  Very creative.  I'll have to add that to my list for the future.
Glen

www.loopychristmas.com

Offline razlfratz

• Freshman
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 11:13:29 PM »
Thanks Glen. But I actually got the idea from a display I saw here on Tampa. Mine is made a little differently, Just wanted to give credit where it is due.
If you think you want one in the future, I can try and work up a materials list and a how-to for you.
I also have this carousel that I made from another idea online. I could also do a how-to and list on it, if you want.

Offline flaloop

• Curriculum Advisor
  • Junior
    • Loopy Christmas
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 11:22:05 PM »
Chuck,

I love the carousel with the molds on it.  A tutorial/parts list for those would be great to have and perfect to post here on HU.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:28:07 PM by flaloop »
Glen

www.loopychristmas.com

Offline DanoNJ

• Jerk
  • Junior
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 07:46:32 PM »
Chuck,  May I suggest posts on both of these?   Put them in the motorized section.  btw, any issues with the weather and the fan? 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:47:04 PM by DanoNJ »

Offline razlfratz

• Freshman
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 09:52:33 PM »
Chuck,  May I suggest posts on both of these?   Put them in the motorized section.  btw, any issues with the weather and the fan?

Yes, I will try and come up with a how-to and list for both.
I have been using this same fan for about five years now, since I built the ride, and no issues with weather what-so-ever.
It is just the cheapest fan I could find at Lowe's. I would suggest that one use a fan that does not have air vents above the blades, such as Hampton bay and a couple of others do. When the fan is turned upside down, then water would enter through those vents.